9/8/09

Awkwardness

Having a special needs child changes everything in your life, especially your relationships with people. Some get stronger and others get weaker. It's interesting to see how people react to certain circumstances. Recently I have become more aware of how people act when they are around me. Some people avoid me, others seem to ignore me and some just pity me; especially people with kids of there own. Do they just not know what to say to me so they just don't say anything at all? Are they embarrassed to be around me because of my situation or just feel uncomfortable? Hmmm...I just don't get it. You don't have to be afraid or uncomfortable it's still just me.

4 comments:

Tara & Mark said...

Hey Beccah, we went through the same kind of thing. My Brother told me that he feels bad whenever he is around Brynlee and that is why he hasn't been around much. Needless to say I gave him a piece of my mind!
I think people don't get the fact that we didn't ask for this either, yet I wouldn't change Brynlee for any other child, ya know? It is hard seeing kids that are healthy running around and playing when ours can't really move. I think it is much harder though when people start treating you like your fragile and tiptoeing around you. I understand that it is probably hard to be around us but this is now our lives and people just need to get over their hang ups. Anyways I'm right there with ya sister! We have weeded through our flower bed and have some of the best friends anyone could ask for!

Lucy and Ethel said...

We observed a lot after Jeffrey was diagnosed and after his death. Some of our good friends were terrific supporters, others vanished. Some we hadn't considered great friends were amazing.

It is fascinating how the 'friendship' thing works... or doesn't work.

Helen/'Lucy'

Jones Family said...

Luckily, you are the same Becah- confident, direct and honest. I think your Riley is dang cute and I'm glad he has got such a wonderful momma (and dad, too!).

You are amazing.

The British Lass said...

I'm awkward around you cause I don't know how to interact with "marrieds" yet. I love Riley, but the "marrieds"... you got to give me some time, chica. :)