5/6/10

Lemons of Life

I just watched this little video about a woman who was in a plane crash and suffered from burns over 90% of her body.  Before the crash she was just a regular person. Married with kids and just doing the day to day activities of being a mom. She spoke about being comfortable in her skin again and how she needs to remember that she is still the same person even though she looks different from the outside. It isn't easy to adjust to new circumstances in life especially when you don't have any control over these circumstances. It's hard not to compare your life to others and ask why your life had to turn out so different. It's hard not to be angry and jealous of those who have a life that you feel you were suppose to have. Difficult times is when we need the Lord the most but it's also the time when you feel most abandoned by the Him. Unfortunately for me I found it easier to distance myself from the Lord and not include him in my life. When Riley was first diagnosed I felt abandoned and alone. I didn't want anything to do with the day to day of life, after all what was the point. I had worked so hard and tried to do the things I was suppose to do and this was my reward? I felt cheated out of my experience as a mother. I stopped going to church because I couldn't handle being around all the parents and their normal children. It took all I had to just get out of bed in the morning and would spend days in my pajamas. I gained 20 pounds on top of the 20 pounds I hadn't lost from pregnancy. I looked terrible, felt terrible and probably smelled terrible too! :) I would look in the mirror and was so mad at myself for letting life get to me this way. I really needed to snap out of it but I just didn't know how. I began to pray for strength to understand why I had been given this challenge and what I was suppose to learn from it but an answer never seemed to come. Not too long ago when I was having a particularly bad day my mom gave me some advice. She told me that bad things happen in life and you want everything to stop while you try to figure it out. But life doesn't stop, it continues to move on and you have to find a way to move on with it otherwise you'll wake up one day and life will have passed you by. This is the first advice that anyone had given me that really made sense. This is what I started to pray for, a way to move on. It has now been nearly two years since Riley was diagnosed and while I still struggle with a lot of things I finally feel that I have received an answer to many prayers and have begun to move on. Because of Riley I have made new and lasting friendships with the most amazing people that I otherwise never would have met. Because of Riley my eyes have been open to a whole new world that I never knew was out there.  Riley is such an example of courage, patience, faith, hope and the pure love of Christ. It is such a blessing to be his mother. 
I share these thoughts mainly for Brock and Kristin. I want them to know that they are not alone during this experience. I also encourage them to not lose site of their faith in Jesus Christ as I did it only makes the journey harder.

3 comments:

The British Lass said...

What a very profound blog post, Mama. You are an exceptional woman and I hope I am strong as you are when a difficult time comes my way. I'm so glad you are my friend. My prayers are with you and Brock and Kristin. Love you!

Strong Family said...

You are strong, and you inspire me! I know that we don't get together much anymore, but I do admire you for what you do with Riley. You are amazing! I don't think many women would have the strenght to do what you do and applaud you for it. You are a good example to me.

Jones Family said...

Insightful and beautiful. You are one amazing woman.

Love you.