6/19/12

Four Years of SMA

June 19, 2008...today marks 4 years since we received Riley's official diagnosis with SMA.  In someways I feel like it's been longer than 4 years just because we've been through a lot, Riley's been through a lot, enough to last a life time.
                     We've endured feeding tubes and g-tubes


                                                                surgeries
              
                                                                  Bipaps

Intubations

Countless number of tests and procedures

Tears, heartache and goodbyes



These past few years have brought an incredible sense of loss. A loss of a life that didn't turn out as planned.  It has taken the past 4 years to overlook that loss and get on with a new life, a life of hope and adventure.  Would I love for Riley to walk, to run, to talk and tell me he loves me? Absolutely! However I fear that If I were to trade those in I may lose his patience and courage. His zest for life and all the people in it.  His tender heart and sweet spirit.  His closeness to heaven and the presence of our Heavenly Father's love.  Riley was given a greater gift than any of us could imagine.  He is the greatest example of faith and the eternities.  I love Riley for who he is and I can't imagine him any other way.

2 comments:

Joy said...

That's a stirring post. You, your husband and Riley are all amazing.

Jones Family said...

Love that family picture at the very end. We love Riley and you. You are an amazing mom and woman.