4/28/10

what a rip off!

We have been wanting to try to get Riley on Social Security ever since he was diagnosed. The cost of taking care of him is so outragious that we really needed some additional support. We have not been able to apply because our income is 'too high' to qualify so we didn't even bother filling out the paperwork because it's quite the project. With Marc currently not working I felt that it was time to try. Not that I want to abuse the system, but given our circumstances I felt that it was deserved. So I spent about 3 days filling out the paper work; finding addresses, phone numbers and exact dates of hospital admissions and diagnosis. I went through the phone interview and signed all the paperwork. The normal approval process usually takes 180 days but since Riley's condition is terminal they are able to pay benefits during the approval process, but they have to determine whether his diagnosis fits into one of the terminal catagories. What ever! It's been about a month and I haven't heard anything about our case when to my surprise a check arrives on Monday from the United States Treasury Department of Social Security. Excitedly I open the envelope when I was shocked to read the amount of $39! That's right folks with our income cut in half trying to provide for a family of three with a terminally ill child the government feels that $39 will be plenty to house, feed, clothe and provide medical care for Riley! Thanks a lot!

3 comments:

wuxiheather said...

WOW, that really is a rip off. I'm sorry, that's so lame!
And I just wanted to say, in response to this statement:
"Not that I want to abuse the system, but given our circumstances I felt that it was deserved."
I cannot even IMAGINE that ANYONE would be thinking you were trying to abuse the system! You seriously deserve it, and definitely deserve a lot more than $39 bucks!

LudvigsonFamily said...

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!! I am furious for you. What is our government and country really doing to support their people, a whole lot I guess!!!

The British Lass said...

What a bunch of bull!!!! They better be sending you a check like that every hour cause that's what you deserve! I'm so sorry Mama. :(