4/8/10

Mall Ratz

Yesterday I took my 10 year old niece to the mall to just hang out for a while.  She picked out a bright green t-shirt with a sparkly penguin on it. Despite my efforts to persuade her into something much more calm she insisted on her choice.  I asked her what she wanted to do next and with out hesitation wanted to go to Claire's. We spent half hour trying on head bands and glitter bracelets. I found myself saying things like "when I was your age this was totally cool!" It was fun to see her excitement over plastic bracelets and ridiculous ear rings.  And yes, I thought all that stuff was so cool! I would save up babysitting money to go spend hours at the mall with friends buying that same bright green t-shirts and those same ridiculous ear rings to match. I would fret over which best friends necklace to buy and who I was going to give the other half to. It was fun to be 10 years old again...well for a half hour at least.

3 comments:

Jones Family said...

I was all about the scrunchies and glittery bracelets. Ah, good times!

The British Lass said...

Next thing you know, she'll be wearing a leapord print shirt and you'll be asking her, "Were you wearing those socks???" :)

Rachel said...

You mean she didn't want to buy a t-shirt that was too big for her that said something like "ESPRIT" or "GUESS" or "B.U.M."?? Pictures of you and Leslie at that age will forever be imprinted on my brain... hahahaha