2/3/10

Four Eyes

For the past oh six months or so I've been noticing that Riley's left eye just doesn't move quite right. His left eye looks at you as if he had a glass eye, it freaks me out every time he does it.  At first I was the only one who noticed it because it only happened every once in a while.  Then it started becoming more frequent and more obvious.  There are only 4 pediatric Opthamologists in Utah 3 are at Moran Eye Center and the other has a private practice.  Dr. Swoboda sent a referal to Moran in November and I couldn't get in until February.  The private practice had an opening the first part of January so I took that appointment as well.  At the appointment in January he said that everything looked good with his eyes as far as he could tell.  The only thing he saw was astigmatism but it wasn't bad enough to have glasses.  I wasn't quite happy with what he had to say because I knew something was wrong with that eye.  So we went to the next doctor and they did the same tests and he saw the same things except Riley actually did the weird eye movement in the office during the tests.  His decision was that Riley needed to be in glasses to help with both the eye movement and his focus because of the astigmatism.  He told me that most kids with these problems don't come in until they are a lot older because their parents don't notice the eye movement and the kids aren't able to tell them they can't see very well.
So it's a good thing that I was being extra observant and determined to figure out what was going on.  If Riley was a regular kid I most likely wouldn't have noticed anything because I wouldn't be tuned in to every little thing he does or doesn't do. I'm always very aware of anything that isn't quite right with him because even the slightest change could become a huge problem.
Riley's new glasses should  be here with in the next week.  It will be interesting to see if it really does make a difference.  I'm curious to see if it will change the way he plays with his toys or looks at his books.  This whole time they've probably all been blurry.   His eyes will be open to a whole new world.

4 comments:

Whit, Lindsey, Jonas, and Maggie said...

oh wow, that's interesting. Glad that you did notice. Hopefully it will help! Welcome to the "four eyes" club Riley!

wuxiheather said...

What was your doctor's name? When I was little--I think 6 years old, I had to get glasses. After a while we ended up going to the pediatric opthamologist (sp?) at the Moran Eye Center and he found I had the wrong RX and he changed everything. He was AMAZING. By the time I was 9 I was out of glasses...he actually had FIXED my eyes. The people there really are great. I don't know if he's still practicing (that would've been 15 years ago) but he was great--I forget his name though.

Kristin said...

A whole new world, eh? It will be fun to see his reaction to glasses. Hope it helps his eye! We love your handsome guy! His hair was so cute too the other day.

Rachel said...

Wayta be super observant!

Riley will be super cute with glasses!